My Ongoing Mid-Life Crisis

Discussion in 'Cars' started by aaronc7, Aug 18, 2018.

Watchers:
10 users.
  1. aaronc7

    aaronc7 Silver Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2016
    Posts:
    58
    Trophy Points:
    33
    Location:
    Navarre, FL
    Ratings:
    +101 / -1
    Like I said in the first post, the kit hasn’t even shipped yet (should soon), but I am getting antsy so I started the teardown last night. Going to be taking my time and hopefully enjoy it (most of the time at least). I know it’s going to be hard to stop once the hardware is here though.

    First order of business is a little bumper repair. Hit a cat or rabbit the other night and it cracked the bumper is a few spots and knocked out the ‘fog light screen’. Thankfully the 2 cracks are on the underside and I think a DIY repair will work just fine and won’t be noticeable…..I don’t think I’ll post pics of that though, might give some Corvette owners a heart attack lol.

    For gauges I got the dual aeroforce interceptor OBD gauges. It can display boost (I will run a 2 bar MAP) and knock. Has 2 analog inputs which I will wire my wideband and fuel pressure sending unit to. One thing I really like is the ability to set up alerts and you can also combine them. i.e. if AFR is greater than 12.0 AND boost is greater 2psi, or whatever you want. Every now and then the car will freak out “service car soon message” or similar with the dual OBD setup, I guess it’s trying to poll too often or something, I may have to mess with some settings.

    I started digging into the engine last night. I was hoping to avoid removing the radiator, but this this thicker radiator/oil lines make it impossible to just remove the fan shroud by itself apparently. Good time to give it and the condenser a thorough cleaning. Next up is the damned steering rack…but second time doing something is always easier (did it during cam swap).

    I need to figure out what to do with my PCV / catch can setup. I bought a cheapy regular catch can to put between the valley cover and intake mani and I also have 2 x 10AN bungs on the valve covers and a can that will work with those. Going to have to move my current setup I think to make room for the blower. I did the 10 AN valvecover mod for the old track setup and apparently it’s working well, there was a little oily residue in the can but I couldn’t get any oil to drain out, after thousands of miles of use. Should be plenty of ventilation for the added power and I can skip drilling/tapping the oil fill port.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    • Like Like x 2
  2. mangosmoothie

    mangosmoothie Platinum Member

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2016
    Posts:
    194
    Trophy Points:
    43
    Location:
    STL
    Ratings:
    +190 / -1
    how's that ryobi impact treating you?
     
  3. aaronc7

    aaronc7 Silver Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2016
    Posts:
    58
    Trophy Points:
    33
    Location:
    Navarre, FL
    Ratings:
    +101 / -1
    I absolutely love it. Ever since I got it, I don't think I've used my air impact once. On the ST I had to change axles, which required removing the hub axle nuts... came off easily. I will be using it remove the crank pulley bolt here soon, we'll see how it goes but I'm expecting no drama. The bolt was torqued to 200+ ft-lb
     
    • Like Like x 2
  4. aaronc7

    aaronc7 Silver Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2016
    Posts:
    58
    Trophy Points:
    33
    Location:
    Navarre, FL
    Ratings:
    +101 / -1
    Well, Ryobi has let me down. I could not remove the crank bolt with it. But it is supposed to be torqued to 240 lb-ft and likely that red loctite was used. Ryobi and I weren't talking after the incident last night, but I think we can still be friends.

    1/2" ratchet with entire floor jack handle as extension did the trick though, but it was still super sketchy feeling.

    Only big snag I've hit so far is removing the power steering pulley off the pump itself. It's recommended to go with the "C6" style which is all metal and isn't solid so you can reach some bolts behind it without having to remove it. Mine is plastic except for the center hub, and it broke while trying to pull it with the proper tools.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    • Like Like x 3
  5. aaronc7

    aaronc7 Silver Member

    Joined:
    Feb 19, 2016
    Posts:
    58
    Trophy Points:
    33
    Location:
    Navarre, FL
    Ratings:
    +101 / -1
    Got the pulley off, auto hobby shop on base + press ftw.

    Apparently there is a backorder / A&A is out of stock of the v3s (self contained lube) due to holiday sale demands. They offered to change to the V2 (engine oil fed) and I accepted. The V2 Ti apparently has the "heavy duty" bearing and can take up to 55k rpm, which gives it a little more headroom than the v3. I already have everything apart, so it seemed like a good option and maybe what I should have done from the beginning anyways.

    IW balancer arrived, but it's damaged unfortunately. Injectors arrived today and the rest of the kit arrives mid-week. I'll probably be held up by the balancer, hopefully another one gets shipped out soon.

    [​IMG]

    [​IMG]
     
    • Like Like x 1
Loading...

Share This Page

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)